A large Australian flag from Colonial Gas Association works at Oakleigh. The flag is the donation of Peter Hoey.
In 1914 the Colonial Gas Association Ltd. acquired the works of Oakleigh Gas Company Ltd. The latter had been established in 1889 by Hutchison & Co. between Downing and Regent Streets. In 1926 the Colonial Gas Association also acquired the Dandenong Shire Gas & Coke Company. Within a few years Colonial laid a high pressure main from the Oakleigh works to Dandenong. The Oakleigh works ceased production in 1949.
- G. Gobbi, Taking its Place: a history of Oakleigh marking its sesquicentenary, 1853-2004: p. 79
Ray Proudly, Circle of Influence: a history of the gas industry in Victoria, pp. 353, 338