The Oakleigh Chambers, at 1A Atherton Road Oakleigh (next to the Police Station), was opened in 1921 and was used as the chambers for the Oakleigh Borough then Oakleigh Town Council. It was the main Council meeting place for the City of Oakleigh between 1927 and 1994. The building was named the Monash Seminar and Training Centre after the amalgamation of the City of Oakleigh and the City of Waverley, forming the City of Monash in 1994. In recognition of its centenary, the building’s name was recently changed back to the Oakleigh Chambers.
An exhibition celebrating its centenary was opened at the Oakleigh Chambers on 17 June by Cr Stuart James, Mayor of the City of Monash. The exhibition has now moved to the headquarters of History Monash Inc at the Monash Federation Centre, 3 Atherton Road Oakleigh. (Enter via the glass doors overlooking Warrawee Park.) It can be viewed on Tuesdays between 10 am and 2pm, and bookings are not required.
The exhibition, curated by Helen Gobbi, President and historian for History Monash Inc, includes artefacts and photographs and reveals much about the early days of Oakleigh. For more information, email [email protected].au.
(This exhibition was postponed from 2021 due to COVID-19.)
Photo above: the front entrance of the Oakleigh Chambers
Photo above: the rear entrance of the Oakleigh Chambers
Photo above: the foundation stone of the Oakleigh Chambers